Wednesday, May 18, 2011

M is for...Mothers!

M is for...mothers!

These are my kids:
I love them more than anything. They are my world.

Even when they don’t want me to kiss them…
I have learned over the years that one can never fully appreciate their mother until they become a parent themselves.

This is my mom:
There are millions of reasons why she is special. Great moms are hard to come by. It took me a long time to realize that.

Growing up, I gave my mom quite a few reasons to leave me on the side of the road. But she always tried to steer my sisters and I right and never gave up on us.

My mom is patient, and kind…and I thank God I share a wonderful bond with her. She has truly made me into the mother and person I am today.
I have four very important women in my life. My mom and my 3 sisters (who are also moms).


I was thinking the other day about all of the things I was teaching my own kids. I often wonder what kind of parents they would be. I started a list of the things my mom taught me...it ended up being quite the list.
My sisters have also taught me lots…and I am lucky to have had them as role models. I hope they know how much they have influenced me. I feel blessed to have them in my life.

Here are some of the things I learned from my mom:

*Saturday is housecleaning day…did you know that Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette magically start playing on the record player…right sisters?!
*My mom used to always say that the “dorky boy in high school will make the best husband.” She was right. Sorry, Ben. Sometimes, the truth hurts.
*It’s true…socks do really disappear in the dryer.
*The best cure for a thief-in-training is to march her back into the store and make her apologize to the cashier and hand the candy back. (Humiliation is a good teacher.)
*There is a fine line between tasteful and inappropriate cleavage (Cleavage? What cleavage?...could have passed some of that on).
*Sometimes, you’ve got to kick your kid out of the nest. I was the one who was terrified of change. (Was? Ah, heck. I still am!) However, she also makes it clear that I can always come home.
*Drink lots of fluids when you are sick.
*“The head is the first place that looses heat…wear a hat for gosh sakes.”
*That even though women are completely capable, it’s perfectly fine to hire a man to tile a floor or paint a wall.
*All about unconditional love.
*If you need your mom, she’s there…day or night.
*You might look funny in winter boots…but your feet will be warm and dry.
*Don’t clean the kitchen with the bathroom sponge. Oops…
*Your mother is always right.
*She taught me religion. “You better pray that comes out of the carpet.” I think I just uttered that phrase today.
*My mom taught me logic. “Because I said so. That’s why.” HEHEHE…I use this one lots, too.
*Always be polite.
*She taught me foresight. “Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you’re in an accident.”
*And also about behavior modification. “Stop acting like your father!”
*She taught me justice, too. “One day you will have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you.”
I could go on and on.

My sisters…

I have to say that the relationship that I have with my sisters is special. We love each other unconditionally. We may have arguments and fight, but we are sisters no matter what. Here are a few things that they have taught me.

*Laugh. No matter what has happened, find a way to laugh about it because in the grand scheme of life, it really doesn’t matter.
*You are never going to have enough money to have children. Money isn’t what’s important anyways. Heck…Kim is living proof that kids can survive off of ramen noodles (love you, Kimmy)!
*If your kids want to eat cereal for every meal…let them. They won’t do it forever.
*If your kids want to sleep in your bed now, let them. They are only little once.
*Don’t stress about potty training. They will get it on their own time.
*Every child is different…
*Finding a good deal on a great article of clothing is reason to celebrate.
*The adventures you have with your children are far more important than the stuff that you buy them.
*Sometimes, “Three Little Fishes” is meant to be sung only to small children who have not developed a sense of tone.
*Kids do heal…don’t stress.
*If you aren’t the best cook, you better marry someone who is.
*Age, race and religion…all of that stuff doesn’t matter.


Kim, Jamie and Justin

Kathy, Ryan and Emily

Kris, Jordan, Adam and Aaron

Thank you to my 4 beautiful role models…I love all of you. More than you will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment