Thursday, June 2, 2011

N is for...New Recipe!

N is for…New Recipe!
Chicken Piccata
I cannot stress how much I love to cook. I could spend all day in the kitchen concocting new menus and revamping recipes.
A friend recently sent me this recipe. At first, I was a little hesitant. Capers. That’s what threw me off. I just couldn’t understand how a pickled part of a plant could possibly make food better. Plus, I was warned by multiple people to NOT try them by themselves. That sounds real enticing.
 I couldn’t find them. I looked everywhere for the small jar of pickled plants. I asked multiple people in the grocery store up here and NOBODY knew what I was talking about! I finally came across them…and was thrilled! Still hesitant…but thrilled to have FINALLY found them!
So…here we go! This recipe was very easy to make and impressive, too! It called for some frying of the cutlets, but I kept the heat to medium and the splattering wasn’t an issue. And everything cooked in one pan…which I LOVE…for 2 reasons. 1…very little clean up and 2…the flavors are more easily blended together.
Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
¼ cup flour
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 large lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons white wine
1 tablespoon capers
Mushrooms…the amount is up to you. However, it was suggested to me to go heavy on the mushrooms and capers…or you will be sad when you run out!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cold butter
Salt/pepper
Paprika
1.   Cut the chicken breast halves horizontally. If needed, pound with a meat hammer to ¼” thickness. The thinner the better.

2.   Mix together flour, salt pepper and, paprika and parmesan cheese. Rinse the chicken pieces in water. Dredge them thoroughly in the flour mixture. Let sit for 2 minutes. Dredge again until well coated.



3.   Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Brown chicken on each side. Remove from pan and reserve them in the oven to keep them warm. I used some aluminum foil and set them in the oven.

4.   Add the wine, lemon juice mushrooms and capers to the pan. Stir together. Reduce. Remove from heat and add cold butter.

5.       Plate the chicken and serve with the sauce pored over.
I also made mine with angel hair pasta…per suggestion of my friend.  I also made some pretty rockin’ garlic bread. It was an amazing meal!
Oooohhhhh…and buy extra white wine. It goes really well as a beverage with this meal! :)
Try it! Highly suggested…who would have thought that a small little pickled plant could make a recipe sooooo yummy!




1 comment:

  1. I love chicken Piccata. The Wikipedia article on Capers is interesting. In the Mediterranean it grows everywhere, and almost every stage of the plant is used. The pickled leaves in salads, the buds (Capers) and the fruit (Caper Berries).

    All delicious!

    ReplyDelete