Tuesday, May 17, 2011

L is for...Leaving!

Thanks to my friend Emily, I was blessed with a job right out of college. I never thought that this job would become my life for 6 years. Here are a few facts. Did you know that The United States has the highest rates of teen pregnancy and births in the western industrialized world? Teen pregnancy costs the United States at least $7 billion annually.

Thirty-four percent of young women become pregnant at least once before they reach the age of 20. That comes out to about 820,000 a year. Eight in ten of these teen pregnancies are unintended and 79 percent are to unmarried teens.

It was my job to teach these teens.

Now that my time is over at Carlton County Young Parents, and I am moving on to continue my journey, there are a few things I would like to say.


Dear Young Parents,

Six years ago, I walked into a classroom. I myself was pregnant and unmarried...and I had so much to learn. I cannot think of a better place to have had my first teaching experience.

Starting out, I was the child educator. I came in with crafts, did circle time and kept your children entertained while all of you went off and participated in parent time.

After a few years, I took over as the parent educator, co-teaching with Cindy. I was always amazed how much all of you wanted to be a part of class, how much you wanted to learn, and how much all of you truly love your children.

I learned lots from all of you. I laughed lots with you...and I cried a lot with you. All of you have truly touched me. I will forever be thankful. In the time I was there, I went through countless births, breakups, deaths, graduations, baby firsts...the list goes on and on.

I cannot thank you enough for what you have shown me. I know now that it doesn't matter how old you are when you have a child. What matters is how you choose to make your life turn out in the end.

I pray that all of you go places, do wonderful things and live lives full of love and happiness.

Please remember what I am about to tell you, as I learned it from all of you. Love your babies and appreciate this phase of life when you are surrounded by little ones. Share little things that your children have said or done. Laugh at the days that go horribly wrong. Encourage the joy over their little successes and be the driving force in togetherness and fun in my your family. The role that you play may seem a little menial at times but it is your greatest work. It is sacred and what this life is really all about. Tell them all of the things they are doing right, especially when they feel discouraged.

I hope that I have taught all of you to see your children in the best light. Love your life day after day. Most of the happiness you will find will be because of the beautiful children that you hold.

Love,
Karla

Our cake
Emily...who is also moving on.
Some of the parents, with the breastfeeding ladies and Cindy
The "guys" with Josh
3 of the pregnant moms! I am coming back to meet all of your little bundles!
Yes, I get paid to hold babies!
Playing in the gym
The many faces of Young Parents...

No comments:

Post a Comment