Wednesday, May 4, 2011

H is for...Homemade!

I really like to try new things…baking…sewing…scrapbooking…I guess it’s kind of an obsession. I think I own more cookbooks than Barnes and Noble keeps in stock.
I took up making aprons a while ago. For me…there is nothing better than giving someone a homemade gift.
I, by no means, am a seamstress. I actually struggle quite a bit…and I often leave off anything that requires me to turn the item I am working on…I can’t do rounded. But, I am learning. Square pockets…now there is something I could do!
These are the most recent projects that I have done. Again…not a seamstress…but I try!


I wear an apron every time I bake or cook. Makes me feel professional…okay maybe not. The real reason is that they are just so darn cute!

Recently, I was shopping with my mom (yes, I know a real shocker). I came across this poem among some aprons at a thrift store.

Grandma's Apron

When I used to visit Grandma.
I was very much impressed,
by her all-purpose apron,
and the power it possessed.
She used it for a basket,
when she gathered up the eggs,
and flapped it as a weapon,
when hens pecked her feet and legs.
She used it for a hot pad,
to remove a steaming pan,
and when her brow was heated,
she used it for a fan.
It dried our childish tears,
when we'd scrape a knee and cry,
and made a hiding place
when the little ones were shy.
Farm produce took in season,
in the summer, spring and fall,
found its way into the kitchen
from Grandma's carry all.

When I read it, I immediately had a certain type of apron in mind. I had no pattern to go off of. Just sewed away and this is what I came up with.


Sewing isn't just about perfectly even stitches. It's about understanding complex steps. It's about having enough patience to see a job through. It's about expressing yourself creatively. It's about feeling good about a job well done.
My next venture: bibs…and cute little dresses made out of scraps of fabric and pillow cases.
Am I old? Why do I do this? I…have…become…my…mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment