Wednesday, June 8, 2011

P is for...Pyramid Purse!

P is for…PYRAMID PURSE!
Tee-pee, pyramid, triangle...it’s a cute little purse! Actually, a friend asked me recently if I keep my isosceles triangles in them...very funny...
I have to apologize. I have made the statement before that I am NOT a seamstress. I learned when trying to post this that explaining to someone how to sew when you are really no good yourself is very, very difficult. If you want some good directions, come on over...I'll be more than  happy to show you!
This has got to be one of the easiest sewing projects I have ever done! I can finish one in about 10 minutes. Once a person learns how to sew in a zipper it’s a piece of cake. I hate zippers. They are tricky and if anybody has some great tips…please let me know!
Here are the step by step instructions for making a Grosgrain Zipper Bag. I hope this unique project will become a favorite for you to stitch out as well!
These are all the items you will need…
Grosgrain ribbon that is 1 ½ inch wide
Liquid stitch…or pins
A 5” zipper

Okay…so I know that some people like to use pins. That’s perfectly fine. However, with ribbon, it tends to put holes in it. The liquid stitch keeps it in tact much better. Just make sure you use a tiny bit…it’s all you need.
And with the zippers…I also know that it is VERY hard to find 5” zippers in fun colors. So, simply take the zipper and sew across the teeth where you want the zipper to stop. Cut off the excess material.
Cut the ribbon into 8 -5” pieces.

Then take 4 pieces and  glue or pin the sizes of the ribbon together so that they overlap by 1/4"



Repeat with the other set of 4 ribbons
Once the glue as set, sew the pieces of ribbon together. Remember, there isn’t a lot of material to sew!

Sew all sections that have been glued or pinned...creating 2 sections.
Now…the dreaded zipper…
UNZIP THE ZIPPER. (you'll kick yourself later if you forget!). Pull the two layers of fabric in the other direction, centering the zipper between the two sides.
Line up the edge of the ribbon that is the widest with the zipper. Glue or pin it down. Whichever fabric you want for the exterior of the bag should be on the TOP side of the zipper. Sew the zipper down. Pull the two sets of fabric that you've just created, so that the zipper is as centered as you can get it. Make sure you pull the fabric rather taut so that you don't get any pinched or wrinkled bits. *DO NOT DO THIS WITH A METAL ZIPPER!*

Sew the zipper in. Repeat on other half.

Now take your piece of ribbon with the zipper neatly sewn in :) and fold it in half with the wrong side out.
Sew across one side of the bag. I like to use the side that the zipper starts to open on. Keep the zipper closed at this point, it will make for a cleaner sew line.
OPEN UP THE ZIPPER...AT LEAST PART OF THE WAY.
Now, sew across the bottom of the bag.
The next part is what is going to make it into the pyramid.
Grab the bag and pull the remaining side so that the seams top and bottom seams are lined up. Creating a triangle effect to the bag.



Pull the sides so that the edges line up as straight as you can get them.
Sew up that side.
Turn the bag right side out...zip it back up!
Add a small piece of ribbon to the zipper so that it is easier to open and close.

And the finished product...super cute...super easy! Like I said...I am horrible with sewing directions. I would be more than happy to show you how to make them!

1 comment: